Tuesday 18 February 2020

The Best Howitt Investor


"Even your Grandad had shares... not many, he was very careful with money."

My dad told me that.

It's not as if my dad spends a lot of money on himself either. He's always worked hard but never felt the need to buy anything flashy.

I asked him when he first bought shares. I think he said 15 or 16... I don't even know he managed to buy them at that age back then.

I was 15 years old. I didn't even really think about money really but I was careful with it. My dad said I had too much money in cash and should buy some shares. He gave me a share magazine to look at.

I didn't know anything about shares but started reading the mag. I chose Manchester United. "They will make money."

My dad looked at it and agreed. He bought some himself.

He had to basically open a share account in my name but I bought the shares with my own money.

I didn't even really look at the price but sold them for about a 200% profit.

I was 21 before I actually started to read about shares and learn about them. Started with a Fool book. Underlined a lot of that shit.

There is this concept called the wheel of life and money was part of it. I was still writing my novel at this time and really not into consumerism. Yet I started to accumulate money like a score in a computer game.

My dad never pushed me into being a share investor, not unless you count when I was 15. And that wasn't really a push, more a suggestion.

But now I do have a goal to be the best Howitt share investor. I know how hard my dad had worked for his money. And he has always given a lot away to charity.

I am my favourite charity. I don't give anything to beggars.

Also my dad will not buy any 'sin' shares. I will buy anything.

I hope that my lifelong dedication to shares and these edges will make me a better share investor than him. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment