Wednesday 11 September 2024

My Chess Coaching

 My Chess Coaching...


So now that I've spent time, around a year, doing paid chess coaching I've decided to write a post about my progress...

Early morning blast by the way but important to get it out...

I'm learning more that my coaching ain't for everyone that's for sure. But that's fine because I only have so much time and obviously I am not JUST a chess coach.

You'd hope that people who messaged would have googled me etc first... I always do if I'm trying to learn from someone.

This is a bit of similar approach that GM Nigel Davies took.... I remember over ten years ago wondering why he would TURN DOWN students but I totally understand now. I can afford to turn down students.

When you've played chess since 4, have read over 250 chess books, personally BOUGHT like over 50 chess books easily..... spent so long studying it's quite hard sometimes to condense it down into one hour of coaching. But I can do that quite well now even for a new student.

I have done plenty of FREE chess coaching in my life too but only do it now if there's mutual value.

What I'm discovering is that it's often best to adapt your lessons to the student. There's so much I can teach a beginner so I can improvise. At the same time I can teach certain things that took me quite a while to learn, think going to a physical LIBRARY and spending hours reading BOOKS or BUYING books and setting them up and going through them on a physical chess set that I can condense down into an hour of teaching.

I always give homework at the end of each session and it shows how serious the student is by how much work they want to do. Nobody had to TELL me to study chess when I was younger I did it myself despite being forced to do schoolwork etc...

I aim to make my chess coaching some of the best value on the internet- I've checked out other prices. £14 an hour... I don't know anyone who offers better value for British students at least. There are certain things I know about the British chess scene other coaches won't- I've played around 150 graded games and ECF grade is 1840 online grade over 2300...
Will add this as a blog exclusive....

I understand and appreciate if/when people offer to pay me more. If you can afford to do it shows respect but I still will teach people for £14 an hour.

Obviously I wouldn't really offer to teach players graded around the same level as me yet even for those a bit higher graded maybe they could learn certain aspects. I have chatted to many GMs...
UPDATE BLOG EXCLUSIVE.....

The real smart people will offer me more then get on my FB friends ... so much content there..... it's prob worth £1000......

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment