Sunday 4 August 2024

GM Gawain Jones

 Long way to Scarborough...

I was 18...

I think I may have played chess there before at this. 2001. My dad would have brought the team by car...

I'd watched a bit of the Brit Champ on Kasparov Chess... and decided to go and visit.

I didn't have that much then. I think the train fare cost about £35 which is about 3 times that in today's money... crazy really.

I enjoyed it though, liked the scenery. I think I saw Jones there... looking back I also saw GM Gallagher and saw Tony Miles a few months before he died...

I visualized Jones winning yday...

I'm pretty sure it was 2003 when I saw him in York. He would have been young then obviously, but he was still tall. About 15. Came with a kinda entourage including his mum.

I think he won the open with 4/5...

This is all instinct...

If you look at his recent results he's quite possibly the strongest active British player atm. After what he's been through it's remarkable. God works in mysterious ways.

Congratulations GM Jones. You have done Yorkshire proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment