Tuesday 21 November 2023

Reply to A Pensioner

 Peter Ackley » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:58 pm

I spoke with one of the teams who asked you to play. They asked you to play as they were missing a player. You were asked to play on the basis that you had a pulse.

Your rating is based on one game. A larger sample would be needed to reach any solid conclusions about your abilities. Online ratings can be used but there's no direct correlation. I've been up to 2500 - I'm not a GM. Deviations of +/-300 are quite common.

As for only beating what is put in front of you in your case its more of (a) the players you are willing to play and (b) the clubs willing to play you.

To end on a positive note, Markie - I do agree with you it is good to see Steve Mann playing again. He does so much for free for Yorkshire chess. Maybe you might achieve that status someday.


Hi Pensioner...
I hope you are doing ok collecting your pension!
I have got the messages from Leo asking me to play- I'm not going to say them in here in full. 
I think I saw Leo first when I was about 13 or 14 years old. Since he has seen me draw in the Woodhouse when I was about 20- I prob should have won that game, and that he knows I've also won in the Woodhouse I think it was good team thinking in him asking me to play... I even had offer to transport me to venue!

As I have already confirmed any OTB game I play I am only going to play if I'm 100% ready for it. This is part of the reason I am undefeated OTB since Jan 2007.

I do aim to play more OTB in future and will add to my over 2000 played online games- bit of experience there I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment