Wednesday 23 August 2023

Chess

 

Re: Major investment to transform future of English chess announced

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:31 pm

Don't worry Mark, no-one's tax is actually going to be returned to them. Someone's wife's company will build the public boards in time for your nearest Conservative MP to be photographed losing graciously to a 6-year-old during the election campaign. The rest of the money will be cancelled by Keir Starmer as not in line with the government's strategic focus on something or other.

Mark Howitt
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:20 pm
Contact: 

Re: Major investment to transform future of English chess announced

Post by Mark Howitt » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:42 pm

It's a serious point that money should go to clubs.

Make MPs see that concrete chess sets are not good value for tax payers money.
Mark Howitt
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:20 pm
Contact: 

Re: Major investment to transform future of English chess announced

Post by Mark Howitt » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:46 pm

I'll quickly make this point too...

I played my last competitive OTB game in December 2008. I had been in the top 10 (played board 5 but some of the better players didn't play looking back on it) in Yorkshire for my age at 16/17.

I did like not play for the season before that because doing good sales job.

Even NONE LEAGUE FOOTBALLERS get paid to play.

I remember chucking in my £2 after a draw with white against a decent local player. I thought... 25 years old and I'm still PAYING TO PLAY...

If I come back to OTB chess and I prob will I'll have to pay to play.

Some of this funding should reduce costs on tax paying chess players.

No comments:

Post a Comment